Robert's House of Hamsters

Somewhere between Sacramento, the Oregon border and that tingly feeling in your toes.

6.16.2005

Quarter-Life Crisis?

Cross-posted from B2Z:

I feel as though I'm growing up slower than everybody else. Is that a good/bad thing to feel?

This is a feeling that really came to life after I returned from Santa Cruz this weekend. One of my best friends from high school graduated with honors from UCSC on Saturday, and if that wasn't a big enough weekend, he got married the following day.

So I took a glance at my high school yearbook. Of all my close friends from then, I'm the only one that hasn't A) had a kid, B)gotten married or C)both.

I mean, it's not like I'm saying this as any kind of a mid-life crisis. I'm 22. So it's more of a quarter-life crisis. Maybe a third-life crisis, knowing the odds of my lifespan.

But, I still have this real sense of discontent. I've never had a serious romantic relationship. This is my first summer where I haven't headed back to the parents for a couple months.

Yet it's not necessarily bad. I wouldn't be able to live with myself with letting A happen before B, which with a lot of my friends has been the case. And I'm likely going to be married and a father for the bulk of my life, so why rush into it?

It's just an awkward position being the final true bachelor without strings attached. You know, besides school and my internship.

Thoughts from the cyber beyond?

1 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger JesusFreak84 said…

    22 is still plenty young. I, personally, don't plan on even considering having a family any time before I graduate college, so no, you're not crazy.

    Two of my friends just got married on the 11th, and that was crazy for me, because they're REALLY close to my age. o_O

    That Big Guy Upstairs will get something in motion when it's time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home