Robert's House of Hamsters

Somewhere between Sacramento, the Oregon border and that tingly feeling in your toes.

12.06.2004

What the future holds...

Well, since I had to sign in to post in my friend Crystal's blog, I might as well drop the dirt on what the future holds for me.

Last month, I applied for the opinion editor position at The Orion for the spring semester. I didn't get it. That happens. I talked it over with the bottom of a bottle of whisky and started figuring out my future options. Here's what I've determined.

I won't be back on Opinion in the spring. Instead, I'll be working on the A-section news staff. I went this route for a variety of reason. I know how much some people out there really look forward to reading my columns, if for no other reason than it creates a wide range of viewpoints in a paper that, just speaking truthfully, can ignore the conservative demographic on campus considerably. I think it's getting better about that compared to previous years, but there's still a way to go.

So, if I stayed in opinion, I'll be furthuring my work there. However, I feel that this semester in particular I'll really be bettering myself as a journalist to the maximum by writing for the news staff. Becky's going to be editor; she was my editor on Sports and a damn good one. In fact, here's that staff that I know of right now: Becky Regan, Brea Jones, Stephanie Teague, and Robert LaHue. Among those four in journalistic skill and talent, I'll rank myself fourth. And there's still at least three slots on the staff to fill, and I can slide even further down the list. So I'll really be testing myself in that group, and they'll be pressing me to give an all-out effort, which is always good.

Then, there's the opportunity to do the police beat, covering the Chico PD and University PD. It's a type of writing I've always wanted to go for, plus I'll get to do the ever-popular "Police Blotter" section. (I don't know if I'll get something like "Subject has a live squirrel in box" or "Caller said his brainwaves are being altered by the television" but it'll be fun to hope).

Am I never coming back to Opinion? Doubt it. I love doing it, too. I'll probably apply for the editor job again for Fall '05, but plans could change. I dunno.

I'll probably create satire columns or something and write them up here and stuff. This blog isn't going to die. I'll likely won't have all the funny hate mail to respond to, but I'll live somehow.

So let's see where this takes us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home