Robert's House of Hamsters

Somewhere between Sacramento, the Oregon border and that tingly feeling in your toes.

8.07.2005

In-Car Entertainment

I've come to the conclusion that the off-ramp of Exit 385 on northbound California Highway 99 may produce some of the most interesting travel experiences I'll ever eyewitness.

You see, after taking the off-ramp, there's a set of two stoplights. Both are part of Highway 32, which is still two separate one-way roads at this point. At the first stoplight, you can only turn right. So, to get back home, I go straight, merge onto a left turn lane, and hit the next stoplight.

This is the spot that, for two nights in a row, gave me something to talk about.

Night 1: Roommate Nick, who's spending this summer driving loads of hay for the illustrious Scott Farms of Tulelake, California, had come down for the night and had the legendary Brad Kirby as a ride-along partner. So a group of us head out and have dinner at Logan's Roadhouse off of 20th. Afterwards, myself and Roommate Adam are driving back in my car to buy some beer, then head to our house, where they are inviting women (none of which, might I note, even looked at me). We pull up to the second stoplight, as the third car in line. Ahead of us is a green sports car, and ahead of them is a red SUV.

The light turns green, and the SUV doesn't go. After approximately 2.87 seconds, the sports car lays on the horn for about the same length of time the SUV hadn't moved. Now, the SUV had started moving, but out of the car pops a hand, pointing out the direction of the moon. Actually not really, it was giving the bird.

Sidetrack: Roommate Adam and I once dreamed about purchasing a giant inflatable balloon shaped like a hand giving the bird and leaving it in the parking lot of a previous mutual educational institution.

Back on subject: The sports car honks again.

Sidetrack: Well, not actually the car was honking, but the person driving the car. Hopefully you were getting that anyways.

Back on subject again: The car gets into a different lane, but eventually pulls back in behind the SUV. They take the same right turn. That's as far as the story went with me, and I don't look at police call logs anymore, so that's all I can tell you.

Night 2: I was coming back from covering a pinewood derby (nobody in the Cashew Gallery dare laugh, because it was damn fun!) and this time was waiting at the first stoplight. That's when I notice the people in the car in front me. The driver kept touching their hair every half-second, while the passenger appeared to be wearing paper reindeer horns. This passenger also appeared to be a fully-grown adult.

I'd like to think they were volunteers coming back from a skit put on for disadvantaged youth. But this is Chico, so they were probably just high on meth.

So, that's Exit 385. The excitement never ends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home