Robert's House of Hamsters

Somewhere between Sacramento, the Oregon border and that tingly feeling in your toes.

2.01.2006

What has your job done for you today?

Out of my own personal curiosity, I decided to consider what being in journalism has caused to happen in my life so far.

Really interesting stuff:

+ I rappelled off a four-story fire tower. I'm scared of heights.

+ I played a role in getting a reporter for the Los Angeles Times fired for alleged sloppy reporting and ethical lapses.

+ I've gone a 20-mile chase with a photographer looking for a felony traffic stop. In a blue van. We found it, too.

+ I've placed in the top 20 in the Hearst National Journalism Awards program. Twice.

+ I went to a national convention in Las Vegas with all expenses paid (except for what I lost at blackjack), and in the process ate at an awards luncheon that included sturgeon caviar.

+ I drove a fire truck on a road course. Kicked ass too, in my humble opinion.

Just-missed really interesting stuff:

+I had full firefighter gear on and was moments away from walking into a burning building when CDF got a call to respond to an actual fire. Shoot.

Other details of note:

+ I spent 10 weeks pursuing a story on horseback police. Jokes flew around the newsroom about my "trot-along" and that I had purchased chaps for the story. Not true, by the way.

+ I manage to tick off a county supervisor and chief administrative office in the same day by screwing up on long division.

+ My first reaction to being told by an editor that a story I wrote might have helped prevent a strike was to get pissed.

+ I've covered sporting events in football, basketball, baseball, softball, track and field, rugby, lacrosse and fencing.

+ My first newspaper story was published after the promise of extra credit from my yearbook teacher Mrs. Jefferson if it wound up being printed. Oddly enough, I was getting an A in yearbook anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home