Robert's House of Hamsters

Somewhere between Sacramento, the Oregon border and that tingly feeling in your toes.

12.13.2006

Moving-Wednesday

Wednesday is my night shift, so I used this morning to discover something interesting: It’s really odd being this close to Sacramento.

If you hit the traffic at just the right time, Sacramento is less than an hour’s drive from Yuba City. How much less than a hour’s drive I’m not going to say in order to keep those who read this blog that are related to me from complaining about driving too fast.

But, when my aunt was in Yuba City on Monday helping me unpack, she told me about the IKEA in West Sacramento. I printed off the directions while at work Tuesday and made the trip this morning.

For those unfamiliar with IKEA, they’re a Swedish-founded (but Dutch-owned) international chain of massive stores selling inexpensive furniture made even more inexpensive by the fact you assemble it yourself with picture-only instructions.

I’d never been in an IKEA before, but I don’t know why I needed to print off directions. That place was friggin’ massive, a mighty blue cube along the left side of westbound Interstate 80. How IKEA stores aren’t noticible from outer space is beyond me. When I get internet back in my house, I’m looking up IKEA stores on Google Earth just to be further boggled by the size.

IKEA stores also have restaraunts offering a mix of American and Swedish food. I took the big breakfast. (redneck for “moderately-sized but toward the small side breakfast") This is eggs, potatoes, a couple pieces of bacon, a Swedish pancake and a cup of coffee. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the Swedish pancake (turns out I was expecting the wrong flavor—they’re potato-based) but the potatoes were excellent.

When my aunt told me IKEA furniture was cheap, she wasn’t kidding. I wound up getting a computer desk, end table, television stand/table and a metal wastebasket for less money than I paid for the two floor lamps at Target.

Of course, I’m singing IKEA’s praises now, but I had to head straight for work after getting back to Yuba City, so I haven’t had to deal with trying to assemble these things.

We’ll see how that goes before I pass final judgement.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger StephM said…

    Ikea is God's gift to the modern world. Oh yeah, and their mac and cheese rocks too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home